The Bible entrusts mankind to be good stewards of our world. Psalm 24 says: "The Earth is the Lord's, and everything in it." Genesis tells us that God loves every and that His first commission to mankind was to care for the Earth.
We seek to:
- Learn the value of God's creation through teaching, prayer and worship
- Use recyclable and biodegradable materials wherever possible
- Minimise the use of paper in worship and communications
- Use sustainable materials in the construction of the St Mary's Church Centre
- Choose environmentally friendly energy suppliers
- Do all we can to make our churchyard and cemetery wildlife friendly
- Engage children through wildlife activities
- Support the Mill Green conservation area and nature reserves in the parish
- Continue to organise local rambles
- Work towards an Eco Church bronze award
Bats in the Churchyard
On Friday 28th June, early arrivers to our flower festival saw a young bat on the floor of the south porch of our church. This was the way in to the festival, so we placed the bat on a ledge of the porch, away from feet and the sun, before ringing the South Bucks & Berks Bat Group.
Rose-Ann Movsovic, a licensed handler who had run a bat survey in our land in 2018, arrived within 15 minutes. She identified the pup as a juvenile male Natterer's bat, which is over 10 times less common in Britain than any of the pipistrelles. She gave him some milk from a special little bottle, declared our porch a registered bat roost and took him back to the local Bat Rescue Centre. At 9 pm she returned with the bat in the hope of reuniting him with his mother - an operation that usually fails with pipistrelles and involved infra red lights, a video camera, iPad and bat detector.
Would there be a mother and child reunion, or would he return to the Rescue Centre? Click the Videos tab on their Facebook page and view their video entitled "Wargrave Natterer" to find out ...
It's public access, so you won't need a Facebook account.
By the end of July, the video had been watched over 10,000 times and shared over 150 times all over the world !